Hanging out outdoors is not exactly everyone’s cup of tea; thanks to the growing popularity of yurt tents, more and more people can now enjoy the wilderness without compromising on their comfort.
Yurt camping is a step up from regular tents because it offers more room and better amenities.
The beauty of choosing a yurt as your base station is that you can go with bare minimum things or stay in a high-end yurt with electricity, a bathroom, and even a kitchen.
Yurts and Bell tents are an excellent option for outdoor enthusiasts looking to escape into the lap of nature. You can enjoy the rugged outdoors while enjoying almost all the modern amenities and luxuries you can think of.
‘Yurt’ means ‘home’ in Mongolian, and these portable, circular tent-like structures offer comfortable options for camping shelters.
Nomadic tribes of Asia initially used yurts. Although the dictionary defines a yurt as a circular tent used by nomads in Siberia, Mongolia, and Turkey, they have now become a camping staple in the US.
Are Yurts Better Than Tents?
Well! Yurts are a step ahead of traditional tents. You may not feel like going back to tents after camping in a yurt! Let us glance at the several perks of staying in a yurt in place of a tent.
1. Better Camping Experience
A yurt camping experience offers significantly less stress and hassles than tents.
While you will need to carry your regular supplies, you don’t need to bring your tent or air mattress, which is a significant relief.
No worries about putting your tent at the campsite as your yurt is waiting for you.
A yurt’s insulating material keeps the warmth inside more effectively than a tent. Being lightweight makes you feel like you are out in the wild while removing most of the unwanted sounds and smells.
The central skylight at the top of the yurt allows sunlight inside the yurt and moonlight during the night. This ensures that you have ample light inside your yurt.
3. More Secure and weather resistant
Yurts are made using a circular wooden frame in a lattice pattern held together at the top with a wooden ring. Tents are rugged canvas with a single central pole supporting the whole structure. Tents are usually pegged to the ground and reinforced with ropes.
Yurts are built on a platform, while tents are erected directly on the ground. All these features make yurts far more sturdy than regular tents and the preferred choice of many. Yurts are built to last; some even use them as their permanent homes.
4. More Spacious
Tents are usually used by smaller groups of two to four people, while yurts can be scaled to any size per the requirement. Yurts also have a domed roof and higher walls, making them more comfortable and spacious.
Yurts can easily be extended to accommodate larger groups or families, which is an added advantage.
5. Construction of walls, doors, and windows
The walls of a yurt are formed of a sturdier lattice pattern. Also, you can create separate spaces like bedrooms, bathrooms, and a kitchen, which is impossible in a tent.
While both structures can accommodate windows, yurts can incorporate high-quality energy-efficient windows. Yurts sport customized front doors, unlike tents with standard canvas doors.
6. Modern amenities
Yurts offer all the comforts of a modern home, including a well-equipped kitchen, plumbing, electricity, and insulation. T bell tent does not support these additions.
This is where the catch is! While a regular bell tent may cost somewhere around $500, the cost of a basic yurt will be somewhere around $20,000. If the budget is the least of your worries, go for a yurt experience on your next camping trip.
The cost of yurt camping depends on numerous factors. Read on to know more.
How Much Does a Yurt Tent Cost?
How Much Does It Cost to Build A Yurt From Scratch?
The cost of a yurt tent depends on its size. Most yurt suppliers provide a price list based on its diameter or floor area.
The average starting cost of a yurt tent is around $4000 for a diameter of fewer than 12 feet. On the other hand, an extra-large yurt with a diameter of about 50 feet may cost approximately $35,000.
Do not forget to add the cost of insulating your yurt, which might be around $1500 for a small one and up to $10,000 for a large one. The typical cost of a yurt per square foot is somewhere between $50 – $15, with the larger yurts being more cost-effective.
The cost of a yurt typically includes the roof, crown cover, wall sections, windows, skylight at the top of the roof, cords, pegs, and canvas. Besides, numerous other factors affect the cost of a yurt. These include:
- Complexity of design
- Installation cost
- Type and quality of materials used
- Additional features include special doors, excellent insulation, bespoke design, and many more.
Depending on your option, the installation costs and upgrades might double the overall cost of the yurt.
While size can significantly affect how much you spend on yurt camping, several other factors influence the total cost. We have provided you with a cost breakdown based on the components used to simplify things for you.
- Platform: Yurt platforms can cost approximately $3000 – $7000.
- Insulation: Insulation is a must for preparing yurts for colder climates and can cost around $1500 – $3000, depending on the quality.
- Roofing: Weather-resistant roofing can extend the lifespan of your yurt and enhance its durability. It can cost around $700 – $1500on on average.
- Structural reinforcement: You can install structural support for added stability at an additional cost of $1000 – $5000. This may be a necessity in windy areas.
- Bathroom installation: Though yurts come with a bathroom, an additional bathroom will cost you around $ 2000 – $8000 on average.
- Customized doors and windows: Expect to shell out an extra $2000 – $5000 if you want to add charm to your yurt by installing French doors and Glass windows.
- Rain catchment: A rainwater collection system is a good choice in arid areas. This will cost you an additional $500 – $3000.
With so many features and upgrades, navigating your expenses may seem daunting. The above cost breakdown will help you itemize your choices, estimate your expenses, and plan accordingly.
How Much Do Yurts Cost to Rent?
The average cost of renting a Yurt in the United States is around $100 per night. Yurt camping can cost you as low as $30 for a smaller yurt and as high as $500 for a large luxury yurt.
These luxury yurts offer full-sized beds and spacious bathrooms. If you are looking for more affordable options, you will easily find a lovely, cozy yurt at a reasonable rent of $60-$70 per night.
What To Bring Yurt Camping?
Yurts offer a lot of conveniences as compared to traditional tents. For one, there is much less packing, and easier to pack up. Yurts are equipped with all basic amenities, but you still need to carry certain items.
Before deciding what to take with you, you should check out what is included in your yurt. Here are a few Yurt camping essentials that should be taken with you on your camping expedition:
- Personal toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, towels, face cloth.
- Warm clothes: Although yurts are insulated, temperatures may fluctuate, and you should be prepared for such situations; carry your woolens to stay warm.
- Slippers: The floor can feel cold, so don’t forget your slippers.
- Firestarter/Matchbox: Carry one of these to start your campfire or gas stove.
- Electric Kettle: If you have electricity in your yurt, an electric kettle is the first thing you should pack.
- Headlamps and Lanterns: Ensure that you bring headlamps or lanterns for outside or if you don’t have electricity in your yurt.
- Fold-up Chairs: You would love to relax and unwind on these chairs, whether inside your yurt or outside.
- Cooler: During summers, you will want to keep your food and beverages cold, so take along your cooler. You can bring a tote in winter.
- Pots and pans: Bring your kitchen equipment like pots and pans, plates, knives, spoons, etc., that will be handy during your stay.
- Bed sheets and linen: Carry your bed sheets, pillows, and linen as you would want to cover the mattress with your bedsheet.
- Dish-soap and clothes: You will need a dish-soap and cloth for all the dirty pots and pans, so don’t forget to pack them.
- Working gloves: You will need gloves frequently to carry firewood, stoke the fire, or do odd jobs, so don’t forget to bring a pair.
- Bug-spray: This is undoubtedly a must-have on a camping trip.
- Trash bags: You will need a place to dump all the waste, so carry a trash bag for recycling and one for garbage.
- Rain jacket: You never know when it might rain, so it is safe to have your rain jacket.
- Table cloth: A red checkered table cloth can brighten the rugged terrain any day.
Can Yurts Withstand High Winds?
The unique structure of the yurts has stood firm through extreme weather conditions, making them a viable housing option. The aerodynamic design of modern yurts makes them capable of withstanding a wind speed of up to 142 mph in any direction.
Yurts are resilient structures that can be further strengthened by upgrading to a more robust material or adding weather support.
Overall, the yurt has a very high wind resistance as it is constructed in such a manner that makes it extremely sturdy.
The compression ring and the snow/wind loads provide a downward force on the roof and the rafters. The load is thus distributed evenly on the beam members and the lattice walls.
The tension cord around the perimeter restricts the outward force making it very difficult for the yurt to blow over during strong winds.
It will not be inappropriate to say that the amount of damage done by high gusts depends on the quality and materials of the yurt.
Modern yurts are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions but are not invincible.
Do Yurts Stay Cool in Summer?
Yurts get hot in summer, but not as hot as the traditional tents. The airflow inside the yurt keeps the heat in check. There are many ways to keep your yurt cool, even without electricity.
Yurts are an excellent option for those who want a more sustainable lifestyle. Yurts are generally suitable for both hot and cold climates. Adequate ventilation will keep it cool during the hot summer months.
Double-walled reflective insulation between the yurt skin and the framework helps keep it cool during the hot summer.
What’s more, the center ring can support a ceiling fan if required. Installing a ceiling fan will help keep the temperature comfortable, and shade screens can assist in keeping direct sunlight from entering.
Are Yurts Warm in Winter?
Yurts are originally designed to withstand winds and protect against freezing weather conditions. Although modern yurts might be exposed to the elements, they can be well insulated and efficiently heat up.
Remember, a giant yurt might be more comfortable, but a smaller yurt can easily heat up during winters.
Traditional Mongolian yurts usually have three to five layers of wool and cotton, covered by an additional waterproof layer on the outside. These layers help keep it warm and cozy.
A solid foundation or a wooden platform with a thick insulated floor also helps keep you warm during harsh winter nights.
Are Yurt Tents Waterproof?
Usually, Yurts have three to five layers of felt covered with a waterproof layer of canvas. Still, if you have bought a yurt that is not waterproof, you can add a layer of waterproof material on the outside at a nominal cost.
The waterproof canvas material can tackle everything from strong winds and rain to freezing temperatures and snow.
All outdoor enthusiasts must know the term ‘Glamping’ – camping with a touch of glam! Yurts are the most popular choice for glamping as they allow you to experience nature and some creature comforts. You can unwind, relax and enjoy the wilderness with comfy beds and fresh pizza.
Yurt camping is available all year round, depending on where you live or want to go. Modern-day yurts are designed to withstand all climatic conditions.
They are well-insulated so that you remain snug during winters and have ample ventilation and insulation to keep them comfortable during summers.
Give it a try the next time you decide to go camping!