Originally, camping was a term given to the activity of getting out into nature and experiencing it. Today, more and more people are embracing outdoor activities like camping as it offers something very different than what they experience in their everyday lives.
Whether you do so for the fun or for the experience, there is gear that will help make your stay comfortable for long-term trips.
What Is Long Term Camping?
Long-term camping is more than just a one-night stay on a campsite, away from the hustle and bustle of your everyday life. It is a vacation that enables you to gain a different perspective of what it means to be connected with nature.
The main difference between short term and long term camping can be seen in the duration. Short-term camping is usually for less than two nights while long term goes for exceeding two nights or more.
11 Important Gears You Need for a Long Camping Trip
- Sleeping bag. That’s your immediate need, or you can also opt to use a blanket or ground cloth.
- Tent. I suggest you get a 2 man tent for a few reasons. First, it can be used as an additional accessory when you decide to travel and camp in other places. Also, it is more comfortable than a one-man tent for sleeping.
- Cooler with ice. Even if your objective is to stay dry at all times during your trip, you will be surprised by the things that happen out there. For example, when you need to cook an extra meal, you will find that it would be more practical and efficient if you have an ice chest for storing cold food items.
- Stove and fuel. In order to cook a meal, you will need a stove and fuel. These items are easily available at any store.
- Toiletries. You can carry other items with you that make your camping experience more enjoyable for long-term trips.
- Paper towels and toilet paper. Once again, it is always good to have this kind of stuff on hand during camping or traveling so that you don’t have to be too creative in the ways that you manage to get clean.
- Camping knife. I know it is not very practical to bring weapons when camping, but on the other hand, we can never predict what will happen so it might be better to be prepared.
- Ropes. These are compact and lightweight so you can bring them with you if you want to use them in a multi-purpose manner. Ropes are great for setting up a shelter or your campsite.
- Water purification device and tablets. Whenever you are planning to go out in the wilderness, remember that it is essential to bring water with you. As a precautionary measure, it is better to bring your own water purification device and tablets just in case there is contamination.
- Umbrella. This can be used as additional protection against the sun’s harsh radiation during the summer months. An umbrella can help keep you cool in hot weather, especially when there’s no shade available at the campsite.
- Bear spray or any other form of self-defense. You will never know what you might encounter while camping or hiking.
Other Essential Things You Should Bring for Long Camping Trip
- Water. You need to be practical and prepared especially if you are planning on going out on a trip for days or weeks at a time. It’s best if you have clean drinking water that meets the standards of purity when you are out in the wilderness.
- Cooking utensils. Just like how you need a stove and fuel in order to cook a meal, you will also need utensils to eat out of. If you want to preserve your food supplies, then it would help if you have something that is washable.
- Mess kit or campfire cooking set. You can opt for having your meals cooked inside the tent or outside by the campfire.
- Bug spray and repellent. Bug spray and repellent are essential especially if it is summertime. In the rainy season, you can get trapped indoors for a few days so it’s best to be prepared.
- Handkerchiefs. There are times when we will experience a sneeze or cough and we will need a handkerchief to help us dry our eyes. It’s comforting knowing that you can use it again and again so it’s better to have plenty of them on hand.
- Bandana/scarves and T-shirt. You can wear these items as needed to protect yourself from the sun. You can use them as sleeping attire, blankets, and a pillow. These items are ready-made and come in different sizes so you can choose whatever you prefer. It’s best to use cotton and it doesn’t have to be expensive because you can always get more than one for your camp.
- Food for the trip. You will have to plan for the meals you will be consuming during your camp. Do not forget the most important meal of the day!
- Flashlight. This is a must-bring item so you can see inside your tent or when using it as a reading light in case there is no moon out there. Make sure that you buy one that uses batteries because you can always replace them if they run out while camping.
- Earplugs. I’m sure you’ve encountered noisy neighbors and other noises that keep you from getting good sleep. Earplugs are a great way to block out those noises so you can sleep in peace.
- First Aid kit. You will need all the supplies that can help with injuries or infections. Most first aid kits purchased at any drugstore come with most of the things you might need during camping.
- Emergency rations. You have to be prepared for unexpected circumstances especially if you are going out in the wilderness for days and weeks at a time for no apparent reason. There can be unruly wildlife that you don’t expect to see or an earthquake.
Make sure that you have all the gear you need to protect yourself from the elements and wild animals.
You will also need to have clothing that can protect you against the sun if you are going out in the summer. It would be best if you have what you need to survive in case of an emergency. Thank You for reading this article on camping gear.